Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I forgot, again!

Reading one of my favorite blogs I was reminded that I once again missed April Fools’ day! It isn’t that I had some grand scheme planned, instead I wanted to tell you about Poisson d’avril, April 1st in France. Although it’s not really known for sure where the origins of this day of practical jokes and hoaxes lie, many writers suggest that the restoration of Jan. 1st as New Year’s Day in the 16th century is to blame. Those left celebrating the New Year on April 1st would have been fools...

In 1508 French poet Eloy d’Amerval referred to a poisson d’avril, an April fish, and these words describe the tradition that is still practiced in France today. The goal is to attach a paper fish to the victim’s back without being noticed. Hah! Hilarity ensues!

Our April 1st activities included flying planes from atop the coffee table

I also forgot that it was Latvian holiday Pūpolu svētdiena until I received an e-mail from my grandmother wishing me the traditional “apaļš kā pūpols, vesels kā rutks!” A literal translation is pussy willow Sunday, more commonly known as the Christian holiday Palm Sunday. One of the most common traditions on this day is for the first person awake to cut some branches from the willow and use them to wake the rest of the household while wishing them to be “round as a pussy willow, healthy as a turnip.”


Luckily I have not forgotten that Easter Sunday is this weekend! Our Easter plans are forming, the Easter bunny has been notified and I’ve even located some cottage cheese to try my hand at paska… but that will be another post!

4 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about 1st April as well! I only remembered because I was with Kirsty (you had me at bonjour) and Aidan (conjugating irregular verbs) and they told me! I'll try to remember for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the photo of your husband on the table makes me so nervous!
    can't wait to read about your easter travels.
    aidan xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...