Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Old and new - Happy 2015!

Laimīgu Jauno Gadu! Happy New Year!

Welcome back! After such an intriguing month spent exploring the traditions and folklore of the Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian holiday season with 24 Days of a Baltic Christmas, Femme au Foyer is back to more regularly scheduled programming: me. The attempt to give myself a month off while still featuring interesting content backfired, and instead of lazing about with some holiday reading I was busier than ever; signing up writers, learning about new Christmas traditions and trying out recipes and crafts that appeared on the series. Of course there was some coaxing, some editing and a bit of a mad scramble to cover a few days mixed in, but overall it was a wonderful learning experience and I’ve developed some new virtual friends in addition to adding a lengthy list of blogs to my reader. I hope you enjoyed reading and writing 24 Days of a Baltic Christmas, and I welcome any comments, suggestions or questions regarding the series.

Midway through the month I was interviewed about hosting A Baltic Christmas for Laiks, the Latvian weekly news periodical. Featured on page 6, “Kad rakstīšana ir sirdslieta” appeared in Volume LXVI Nr. 2, the January 10-16 edition along with a picture from the Spartanburg International Festival last year.


Then while the final days of 24 Days of a Baltic Christmas were reaching your inboxes, we were already en route to the un-snowy north where we completed a holiday circuit worthy of its own Christmas movie. As I sit here now nursing a hot mug of tea and recovering from a cold, I think about how often we seem to need vacations after our vacations. We accomplished so much in the past month; in addition to the 6 homes in 3 states we visited to celebrate Christmas, we also hosted our son’s christening. For New Year and Roberts’s birthday we took the three boys to Costa Rica, and now amongst the piles of thank you cards to be written and pictures to be sorted I have the makings of Mikus’s third birthday party. There is no time to slow down even if I wanted to – the talk to make sure and slow down/smell the roses is nice, but for me it’s full speed ahead for 2015, the train already having left the station and rolling downhill of its own accord.



As the sun set on 2014 I was on a nearly-vertical return hike from a waterfall featuring a naked Brit. (We made it back through the jungle in the near-darkness just in time to join everyone in the lodge for the vecgada vakara feast, the naked Brit having retrieved his clothes!) And the first day of the New Year found me flying through the cloudforest canopy, hundreds of feet above the forest floor. Last year was great, but I’ve got a feeling 2015 is going to be a good one – I hope you stick around to share it with me. 

12 comments:

  1. Six homes in three states, Vilis' christening AND Costa Rica? All I can say is: wow!!! That sounds fun and exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes! Setting the tone for the entire year I believe! If you're coming to visit you might want to book soon ;)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you and your family! It sounds like you have had a very interesting time during the festive period. I'm just back from my travels and getting a new post ready. I seem to have had quite a long break too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks miss b! Looking forward to reading about what you've been up to on your break!

      Delete
  3. You are such a lucky and busy mama! You will get it all! Just try to stay organized as you are.
    The same as you this year we noticed that we nee holidays after our family holidays!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inese - hope you enjoyed your holidays and have recuperated from them! From one lucky/busy mom to another, laimīgu Jauno Gadu!

      Delete
  4. Labs raksts LAIKS avīzē (mums laikam vēl nav pienācis šis numurs....)! Great interview in LAIKS - is it worth translating for English-speaking readers? (varētu)
    I absolutely am in awe of what you get done, at home or atravel or abroad, with your four boys; and the biggest boy (R) has an enviably wonderful rapport with his sons.

    The time spent in Chicago this Christmas season was definitely absolutely packed with events, and I'm a bit sad it was so short.

    BUT - Costa Rica! I would never have aspired to such travel when you guys were little.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a translation someday...

      As a mom I can now say I don't understand how you accomplished all you did with the four of us underfoot back in the day - moms are superheroes!

      Yes, Chicago was short, but I think we packed it absolutely full of family and friends. Can't wait to do it again!

      And finally, Costa Rica has changed in the last twenty years, I don't think I would have traveled there with the three boys back then...

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    I just discovered your blog. I am a Latvian Australian. My parents came to Australia as displaced persons after the second world war. I make some mention of this in my blog The Hipsterette. You might be interested in the edition of "French Women Don't Get Fat" - the Latvian version. I will add you to my blog roll and hope you will add me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sveiks, nice to *meet* you! One month earlier and you could have participated in the Baltic Christmas series ;) Thanks for adding me to your blog roll - although I don't have one, I have added The Hipsterette to my reader and look forward to following your blog.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, Liene. I really enjoyed your Baltic Christmas series - well done for pulling that together. Looking forward to reading in 2015! June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June! It was an honor having you join the series!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...